Saturday, March 11, 2006

Sick again

Mummy and Papa had a scare when I fell sick once again. It was the first week for Mummy back at work. Papa picked me up at the nursery that Monday evening. Once we got home, he realized that I was pretty warm and he took my temperature. It was 38 degrees and he called Mummy who wasn’t back from work yet. He told Mummy that he’s going to take me to the hospital, at this time I was crying from the discomfort I was in. I was feeling hot all over. Mummy managed to convince him to wait for her to get home first.

While waiting for Mummy, Papa got a wet towel to put on my forehead. And he fed me too. He held me all the way till Mummy came home. Once mummy came home, they got ready to take me to go see the doctor. We went to another doc this time coz my doc was not working that night. It took us a fair bit to get to this doc coz Papa wasn’t too sure where the clinic was. I was tightly snuggled up in the sling around Mummy then. Mummy who took pity on me felt that I should not be sitting in the car seat and instead, wrapped me in the sling on her. By the way, this sling was just bought over the weekend so that Mummy can have her 2 hands free to do whatever she wants when she carries me. I’ve been difficult to her lately it seems. What is wrong with me wanting to be held all the time? I thought all babies should need some TLCs as and when he or she pleases, no?!

Ok, back to this new doc. It’s the usual routine being weighed and measured. Much to Mummy’s and Papa’s delight, I have now officially doubled my birth weight. I now weigh 4.6kgs which is equivalent to 10.12 pounds. But of course their main concern was my fever and how is it affecting me. My turn came to see the doc and he checked me physically. He said other than the high fever I had (which hit to 39 degrees by then), I looked physically alright. He said to give me fever medication every 4-6 hours and to go see my doc the next day. Mummy asked whether will the fever go away and he said usually it doesn’t in babies. It will go up and down for a few days. Mummy doesn’t want another horrible time at the hospital for us again.

I think she prayed very hard coz my temperature went back to normal overnight with the fever medication. Mummy diligently got up through the night and made sure I had the medication. She took leave from work to look after me that day and she told Papa that she will take me to see my doc if my fever returns but it didn’t. So the next day, I was back to the nursery and Mummy back to work. That evening, Mummy picked me up from the nursery as Papa had to work late that day. I wasn’t being my usual self and that got Mummy worried. On the way home, I was crying over little matters. I was really tired and was falling asleep but anything that wakes me, I start to cry over again. I was just feeling uncomfortable and was voicing it out.

Once at home, Mummy took my temperature and I had a mild fever of 37.5 degrees. So I got a dose of medication every 4-6 hours again. And also this time round, my eyes were reddish-pinkish and puffy. Mummy said that if it doesn’t go away the next day, she will take me in to see my doc. My fever went away but not my puffy eyes so Mummy took leave again the next day and took me to see my doc. The doc that jabbed me real hard the last time! Again like the other doc, he checked me physically and said that there’s nothing wrong with me physically. He said that the puffy eyes are a reaction from my fever and it will go away. He told Mummy not to give me fever medication unless my temperature is 38 degrees and above. He said that my fever could be from some viral infection but Mummy thinks it could be from the nursery. He also told Mummy to make sure that I get a lot of rest too.

That afternoon, we went to Aiyee’s (Mummy’s sister) house and I was looked after by Kakak (Aiyee’s maid) and Grandma while Mummy got her rest at Grandma’s who lives on the floor below Aiyee’s unit. Poor Mummy, from the worries and lack of sleep, she too fell sick.

Mummy decided for me to be taken care by Kakak the next day too while she goes back to work. She told Aunty Ng that she will send me back to the nursery the following Monday. I had fun at Aiyee’s. I got to be with Ro Wyn cher cher (big sister in chinese) and Jo Tien ko ko (big brother in chinese). Some more Grandma was there too and she carries me all the time. What fun I had but my eyes were still pinkish. Mummy said it looks as if I’ve been punched in the eyes. Mummy came quite late to pick me up that day but it was ok. I had fun with Aiyee and my cousins. Once Aiyee got home from work, I couldn’t stop talking to her and also to Kakak. I’ve been termed a chi cha por (talkative one)…I must take after Mummy since I hear her talk more than Papa.

No comments: