Sunday, October 14, 2007

Mummy's entry - Arriving at LA - Day 1

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

We’ve landed in LA LA land. :D

Overall on the plane ride, the girl was very good. We didn’t even have to walk her on the plane, something I thought we would be doing throughout the ride. We had been preparing her for this trip the last few weeks, telling her daily that we will be sitting on the plane soon to go visit her Ah Mai (her papa’s sister).

So when we’re finally off to the airport, she had a big grin as she knew that we’re going to sit on a plane soon.

Kids being kids, will find ways to amuse themselves…following are the pictures at the airport.

On the plane, we were seated right at the first row of the economy class area so she had that little space in front of us to play at but mostly throughout the trip, she was asleep most of the time (phew!).

When we took off, she was already asleep, she fell asleep while the plane was taxiing, getting ready to take off. So my worry of how the air pressure will affect her was taken care of then. She slept over 2 hours so she missed the plane food but we kept some fruits and a cheesecake for her which she walloped when she got up.

We transited at Taipei’s airport for about an hour so this girl had fun walking around the airport. She was so lively and happy, she was singing loudly while walking as if she owns the airport.

When we boarded the plane again, once she saw the same seats that we were sitting, she let out a cry of dismay and said “I wan go owchide” (I want to go outside). We explained to her that we have not reached her Ah Mai’s place yet and that we still need to sit on the plane. Then she went on saying “I wan chee Ah Mai” (I want to see Ah Mai) and she went to the window and said so loudly “Ah Mai” a few times. Then we realized that she thought that we have already reached the destination when we landed at Taipei. Hehe.

I gave her a sweet when we took off as she didn’t want to be buckled up with me (had to use a sweet to bribe her when she was difficult – thankfully, I only had to give her a sweet 3 times throughout the journey).

After our dinner on the plane, we prepared her for her bedtime. Surprisingly, she was alright with the plane’s bassinet, she willingly went in there when we told her that she will be sleeping in it. We’re guessing that she rather be lying down flat that to sleep on me (which she was when she had her nap to Taipei). Only thing was the bassinet is really small, she is longer than it so her movement in it was also restricted. She only managed to sleep in there for like 3 hours before waking up frustrated.

We were lucky that we had 3 seats to ourselves but the side bars cannot be lifted. Even the air stewardess (have to say the second batch to LA were really nice and friendly to her and us unlike the first batch to Taipei) realized that she was longer than the bassinet and asked us if we want to have other available seats since the flight was not full but we decided to remain where we were as we liked the space in front of our legs where she can play.

So when she got up crying in the middle of the night, I took her to the 3 seats that were available and let her lie there. She was alright for about 4-5 hours but she did wake up in between a few times with a little cry. I on the other hand, could not sleep well throughout the plane (and found out later that her papa also couldn’t sleep) as not only was it uncomfortable but I was worried that she would fall to the floor and also that she would disturb others if she cried. In the end she got up crying asking for milk and I had to bring her back to our original seats. By this time, it was like 5 plus am (M’sian time) and I thought of not letting her sleep on but she did after that till we nearly landed. And she slept in the bassinet in which I had to coax her a little to be in there since she was frustrated sleeping on me (she couldn’t have her liberty of moving about).

We landed early but had to wait a long time to get through the custom as there were many people. The girl was patient enough to be in the sling on me the whole time, she did ask to walk but I didn't dare since I wouldn't be able to catch her through the long queue should she wander off.

We were picked up by hubby's sis and were brought back to her home to unload our luggages before heading for dinner. We had Korean tofu soupy stuff and it was really delicious! I wouldn't mind going back there to eat again.

My impression of LA so far? Well, a little bit disappointed with LA’s airport (I’ve been too brainwashed with what I saw on TV so I expected more out of it). I mean I know it’s one of the busiest airports in the world and knowing it is, you would expect a whole lot more than what it is right now. Hope to see the new makeover in the future. As for the rest of LA, still too early to tell... will keep you posted whenever I can (like now as I'm still not adjusted to the time yet - I'm impressed with the girl as she is adjusting way better than the rest of us). Stay tuned! :)


Vien said...

OMG! She sounds so adorable! Hey, on your trip back...ditch the bassinet. Just let her sleep on the foot-way (if sitting in front of the big screen). My friend said she saw some parents just lay blankets on that area and let the kids sleep there. Then no need to worry about them rolling off the seat.

KittyCat said...

Wow - you're there already! Rye Li sounds so cute and important in the video - I think she feels very big =)

I'm debating between bulkhead seats and regular seats too due to the sleeping time. Looks like Rye Li did ok but hope both you and hubby caught up with your sleep after landing!

Wen said...

i think our airport is much nicer than LA's airport. rye li is so cute la..