Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mummy’s entry – How vain she can be!

It seems when Rye Li started kindy in January, she has been practicing for their concert which will be held end of this month. I remembered when she first used the word “kompang” (malay for a traditional musical instrument and can also be termed as a drum), I didn’t exactly make out what she was trying to tell me although she told me that she is playing the kompang at class. It was only when I knew that there will be a concert in May, I put two and two together and realized that she has been telling me that they practice their kompang sessions nearly everyday in school (I’m impressed at how early they prepare the kids for the concert).

So naturally, we are all aware at home that this girl with the rest of her classmates will be playing the kompang for their concert and personally, I am very excited for this as this is my first time experiencing such things as a mom.

I did probe with Rye Li whenever I can whether they had practice that day or not. I also asked what does she do with the kompang and she would show me in actions what her steps are and so on. And then I also asked her about her costume and she told me that it’s pink in colour. More than a week back I asked her how her costume is like and she described it being very sexy with a bare back top and I had this vision in my head already. Then few days later, there was a notice in her bag (her kindy got this exercise book in which it is meant for notices to the parents and they’ll make sure that the parents have read and understood it by signing on it) that she’ll need a pair of white socks and black shoes for her concert.

Since it was kind of vague as to what type of shoes she needed, I thought that I would ask her teacher to confirm the kind of shoes she needs. So I managed to get hold of the principal and asked her about it and she told me that Rye Li would need those dainty black shoes for girls (as opposed to sport shoes – don’t know why sport shoes came into my mind when I first saw the notice!) as she would be wearing a baju kurung (traditional malay costumes for girls). When she mentioned this, I nearly burst out in laughter as it is so opposite to the bare back top I have in my mind. And also silly of me for thinking a sexy costume when I very well know she’s playing the kompang. I did ask Rye Li about it that evening, describing how a baju kurung will look like and she confirmed it as that being her costume. I did tell her that there’s no way anyone would be dressing sexily when playing the kompang and she laughed it off.

Anyway, we also just got to know that there will be a rehearsal next week at school and that the parents were given notices to have the kids attend class in their black shoes and white socks plus some makeup on. The girl was so excited about the makeup part as she has always been pestering me to let her wear makeup (she observes me when I wear my makeup) and I have managed to convince her that she can only wear make when she’s older or that if she’s someone’s flower girl at weddings and she has bought it all this while.




This picture was taken during CNY this year when I met up with my girlfriends and one of them who brought her 2 elder girls along had lip gloss with them and my Rye Li got so fascinated by it. I allowed her to wear it (actually my friend’s daughter was the one who put on the lip gloss for her and I had a tough time explaining to her why they had lip gloss with them later on – I knew she would ask me this question after that).

So now my story has changed that she can only wear makeup at concerts (she also laughed at the idea that the boys also need to wear makeup and I told her only at concerts). She is so excited about this that she has been telling everyone that she meets at the daycare (including some mothers that picked their kids up) about it. See how vain my little one can be. She even asked Aunty Ng (the daycare owner) to tie her one ponytail by the side and let some hair fall out. Geez!

As much as she is excited about having to wear makeup, I am very excited about seeing my baby performing at a concert. I don’t how she will fare but regardless of the outcome, I will still be very proud of her. I hope I can update on it when the time comes….I know, I’ve been such a bad blogger these days and I’ve missed out on so many good posts of the girl already.

2 comments:

Health Freak Mommy said...

Eh, concert in May? That's pretty unusual coz concerts are normally held year end. Do post pix of Rye Li in her concert k? My hubby and I hope to meet u and ur 2 princesses 1 day :)

A Mom's Diary said...

Yiu Yiu's kindy will have concert this year too - they alternate between concert and Sports Day each year.