Sunday, November 18, 2007

Haven't recovered!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

I’m still not well since our US trip more than 2 weeks back. It was like a roller-coaster ride, when we thought that my cough was just about to get better, I somehow caught some germs and it became worst again. The medicine was not helping either (mummy actually stopped giving it to me, thinking I can recover on my own). So when I started coughing in the night and vomited again on Monday night, Mummy decided to take me to the doctor the next day.

Again, my doctor was not in (he’s on leave), so we saw Dr. Foo (the one we saw when we landed to KL). After checking me, (I let him checked me hesitantly this time without making such a big fuss like I always do when I see doctors), he claimed again that it is the common flu and the reason why I wasn’t recovering fast was that I’d probably got some other germs that started the whole cycle again. Mummy told him that at least I’ve not gotten any fever since falling sick 3 weeks back.

She spoke too soon! That night itself, when I came back from the nursery, my fever started, it was at around 38 degrees. So I was given the fever medicine before my bed time and another one in the middle of the night when my fever came back. I didn’t have any fever while at the nursery the next day but it came back again that evening when I came home. And this time it went up to 39 degrees.

Since papa was so worried that I may have dengue, I was brought back to the doctor the next day. This time, even though my usual doctor was in, we still went and see Dr. Foo as I requested for him. Mummy asked me if I want to see Dr Lee (my regular doctor) or Dr Foo and I replied “Doctor Poo”. I really like him and I will tell you why later.

Dr. Foo checked me again and (I only made a little fuss) he confirmed that I do not have any infection from what he could observe physically. He said that it is common to have fever with the flu and that it should go away after a few days. To keep Mummy’s and Papa’s worries to rest, he said that if my fever doesn’t go away by Saturday morning, they should bring me in to do a blood test.

That night itself, my fever came back and the same on Friday night. And off we went to the hospital again on Saturday morning. Mummy asked me whether I want to see Dr. Lee or Dr. Foo and I replied “Doctor Poo”. I think she wanted to go back to my original doctor but she gave me the benefit of the doubt. And when I saw Dr. Foo, I didn’t make any fuss at all when he checked me this time. Again, he said all was alright, no infection from the physical check but said to test my blood instead.

So we went to the lab and were greeted by this friendly uncle but I wasn’t that fooled easily. He tried to take my attention away with a toy while another uncle was playing with my right hand, concentrating on my third finger. But I wasn’t fooled easily and kept looking at what the other uncle was trying to do with my finger. Next thing I knew, Mummy covered my eyes and I felt such pain on my finger that I screamed in pain and cried. I tried pulling my hand away but I couldn’t and kept crying. The pain went on for several minutes as the uncle kept pressing on my finger so hard. The friendlier uncle tried to calm me down by saying “Uncle give you a lollipop okay?” and I nodded my head yes while crying so hard! Finally, the task was over but they left a plaster on my finger which I wanted it out but Mummy said later. The friendlier uncle gave me a lollipop which I willingly took.

We had to wait for nearly an hour for the results and when the results came, we had to see Dr. Foo again. He confirmed that I have a viral infection and not any bacteria infection. So he said that there is no medication (antibiotics) that can help my viral thingy and that my body need to heal by itself. I just need medication to ease my cough, phlegm and fever. He also said that the blood test doesn’t show any dengue nor urinary tract infection. And to put Mummy’s and Papa’s worries to rest again after they had so many questions to ask, he said that if my fever don’t go away in 4-5 days time, to bring me back again to do another blood test.

As to why I like this doctor…he actually took the time to bond with me. On my very first visit there, he tried to but I didn’t allow him and cried throughout the check. On my second visit there, I also cried once I entered his room (this is what I always do immediately when I enter the doctor’s room). Since mummy couldn’t talk to the doctor in between my shouts of “I wan go owchide” (I want to go outside), she took advantage of Dr. Foo’s toy corner which had a little table full of toys with little chairs around it. It worked as I stopped crying and played by myself there while she talked to Dr. Foo. And while I played, Dr. Foo joined me to play with me. Then he distracted me with his toys on his desk which worked as I got up to go there. I told him “I wan dat one!” (I want that one) pointing to another toy on his desk. Then he asked me to sit on Mummy’s lap which I didn’t want to but Mummy took me anyway. I didn’t cry though coz I got to be closer to his toys on his desk. And while I played there, he took me by head and put his forehead against mine as if he wants to play with me. Then he asked my permission whether he can check me which I said no while I shook my head. Then he brought out his stethoscope and said he will check on Mummy instead and showed me. Then he said he will now check me and I let him since it’s over my shirt. When he put the stethoscope under my shirt, I made some my fuss but he managed to distract my attention to his toys. Then when he wanted to check my ears, I also made some fuss but both Mummy and him managed to distract me by saying there’s Mickey mouse in my ears. Next, when he wanted to check my mouth, after coaxing me several times, I opened my mouth to let him see. In between checking me, I kept saying “I wan go deh, I wan chor-chor (Cantonese: sit) deh” (I want to go there, I want to chor-chor there), indicating that I want to go to his toy corner and sit there. But Mummy said later and when Dr. Foo was done with me, Mummy let him down to play.

On my third visit there, I was happy going in to see him although I made a fuss once I saw the hospital. I recognize the hospital already and I associate it with the doctors. Mummy reminded me that I can go play with Dr. Foo toys and I was alright after that. This time we saw Shireen, Dr. Lee’s nurse and Mummy told her that I asked for Dr. Foo since I get to play with his toys. Think mummy felt guilty so she took the time to explain to her why we ended up at Dr. Foo’s instead. But Mummy like Shireen as she is really a nice lady, she always remember who we are and she is really friendly too. We can’t say the same for Dr. Foo’s nurses though. Anyway, after I was done with Dr. Foo, I refused to leave his room. I wanted to stay at his toy corner but Mummy forced me to leave the room.

On my forth visit to Dr. Foo, I didn’t even make any fuss at all. I let him checked me willingly which surprised both Mummy and Papa. I even told Dr. Foo that I wanted to play at his toy corner which I didn’t get to. As the next thing I knew I had to go to do the blood test which was no fun at all although I got a lollipop out of it.

It’s Sunday night now and I’m still having fever, my sixth night of fever. Funny though that it only comes at night. If the fever doesn’t go away by next Tuesday night, I will be brought in again to see the doctor for sure. I hope that it goes away!

Another thing why I don’t mind seeing Dr. Foo, Mummy promised me sweets when I’m done seeing him. So when I hear Dr. Foo, I asked for sweets! :)

Our updates on the rest of our US trip is still not up yet…please be patient yea. Mummy has been busy with work and when she’s not at work, she’s busy with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I hope she gets well soon. Did you go to the chinese med hall to get some chuin pui?